Special Events & Programs Page
Check this site for future and past events and programs held at the UH Hilo Physics and Astronomy department.
Looking for images from the
UH Hilo Department of
Physics and Astronomy
activities past and present?
Current activities and news you can use!
- PISCES, Robot-Built Landing Pad Could Pave the Way for Construction on Mars
- UH Hilo Stories, UH Hilo undergraduate Jasmin Silva conducting astronomy research on structure of galaxies, March 14, 2016
- Dr. Nienke van der Marel, will present "ALMA and the birth cradles of planets: searching for signatures of planet formation". A presentation open to the public, Thursday, February 18th, 6-7pm in Wentworth Hall, room 1
- HSGC 2015 talks at UHM
- UH Hilo Stories of Excellence 2015-16, "UH Hilo Team Proposes Landing Sites for First Manned Mission to Mars"
- UH HIlo Alumni in excellence news hilo.hawaii.edu/excellence/alumni.php
- John Hamilton takes two students to NASA at Houston Texas for MARS first landing workshop for human missions, Oct 27, 2015
- Galaxy Forum on November 12, 4-6pm at the Kahilu Town Hall in Waimea. <Find the poster here>
- Spring 2016 classes, signup for "Cosmos and Culture"
- Astronomy at the White House, live stream at 1:30pm Hawaii time (Click on this link)
- White House Astronomy Night Fact Sheet and press release can be found here (Click on this link)
- Article on Hilo Tribune Herald, October 10, 2015 "UH-Hilo to buy new teaching telescope; Hoku Kea replacement won’t go on Mauna Kea"
- Dr Richard E Griffiths, Affiliate Professor in the Physics & Astronomy Dept., has been awarded $955K by NASA's Astrophysics Division over the next three years for his research into the properties of X-ray Selected Active Galactic Nuclei [Supermassive Black Holes]at High Redshift,by analyzing data from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory. Griffiths is a co-author of the following recent publications: "Discovery of Massive, Mostly Star-formation Quenched Galaxies with Extremely Large Lyman-alpha Equivalent Widths at z ~ 3", by Y. Taniguchi et al., Astrophysical Journal, 809, L7, 2015 "Detailed Shape and Evolutionary Behavior of the X-ray Luminosity Function of Active GalacticNuclei", by T.Miyaji et al., Astrophysical Journal, 804, 104, 2015 Griffiths also presented some preliminary results from his NASA award at theConference on "Demographics and Environment of AGN from Multi-Wavelength Surveys", held in Chania, Crete, on September 21-24 2015. His paper was entitled "X-ray Stacking of Non-X-ray Selected AGN in the COSMOS Legacy Survey''. Griffiths also gave a colloquium at the University of Leicester, England, on Sept. 17, entitled "Properties of Dark Energy and Methods of Measuring Them".
- A team here at UH (Norman Purves, Steve Lundblad, John Hamilton and two students Colin Milovsoroff and Niki Thomas)
have had our paper accepted to the First Landing Site (LS)/Exploration Zone (EZ) Workshop for Human Missions to the Surface of Mars. http://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/explorationzone2015/
- Also in today's Tribune Herald, coincident with the NASA press release on brine water discover on Mars is a companion
article highlighting our work. http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/local-news/discovery-liquid-water-mars-reassuring-uh-hilo-team-hoping-select-landing-site As the article briefly mentions, we are trying to find ways to fund the 2 students to attend this workshop in Houston Texas.
- Public talk by Celine d'Orgeville, of the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics, Australian National University. Monday, September 21, 12:30-1:30pm in STB-226
- Free public talks and ObservingLunar Observing on the lawn at UH Hilo Science and Technology Building, Sept 19th, 6:30-9:30pm
- Prof. Ricardo Chacon, Universidad de Extremadura, Badajoz, Spain,"How phase disorder affects signal amplification in scale-free networks, August 18th, 11am, STB-225
- University Relations, UH News on the UH Hilo decommissioning Hoku Keʻa telescope on Maunakea
- Hawaii Tribune-Herald article by Tom Callis, "Sun sets on Hoku Kea; UH-Hilo will decommission beleaguered telescope" July 7, 2015.
- July 15, 6:30m at UH Hilo UCB 127 (the Fishbowl), "The Universe in Absorption" a talk by our own Kathy Cooksey.
- Special talk on the New Horizons closest approach to Pluto by John Hamilton of PISCES & UHH. Join us July 14th at 7pm in the UH Hilo Science and Technology Building (STB) room 108 at 7pm for this free public talk.
- Speaker Steve Howell, Exoplanets and Kepler Mission Update, July 7th, at 7pm in the UH Hilo Science and Technology Building room 108. (Pics from talk)
- Hawaii Business article, UH Hilo: Hawaii's Under-The-Radar Hotbed of Innovative Research article
- Student employee of the year award to Kristen Laguana, May 2015 <UH Hilo news link>
- Francis Davis award for excellence in undergraduate teaching, May 2015 <UHH Link> <UH system link>
- Koichi and Taniyo Taniguchi award for excellence and innovation award to John Coney and Kaleo Hui, May 14, 2015
- UH Hilo ALEX (Applied Learning Experiences at UH Hilo) article, "Assisting Your Way to Success", Written By Daisy Willis
- UH Hilo to host talk, “The History of Snow and Ice on the Summits of Hawai`i” by Dr. Norbert Schorghofer on November 20, 2014, 7-8pm at the UH Hilo Sciences and Technology Building, room 108. (pictures) (video) (UHH Campus TV)
- Dr. Kenji Yoshikawa's talk, "Tropical Mountain Permafrost", October 24th at UH Hilo Science & Technology Bld. (pictures) (video)
- Dr. Kathy Cooksey will give a free public talk on "Is Science a Meritocracy?: Issues of Diversity & Equity", October 23, 2014 7pm in STB-108. (pictures) (video)
- UH Hilo physics professor collaborates with student on article published in Nature, July 7, 2014
- Ben Browning presents his poster at Boston's AAS meeting 2014. "Identifying a Damped Lyman Alpha Source in the Spectrum of Quassar SDSS 1233544.18+150118.3
- Dr. Michael West, Nantucket, a small island located 30 miles off the coast of Cape Cod, has a rich history and a strong connection to astronomy. Money, May 12, STB-118, 7pm.
- Dr. Warren Skidmore presentation on the science driving the building of a giant telescope, April 25th, 7pm STB-108. (click here for the pictures) and (click here for the video)
- NASA Lunar Scientist, Brian Day, will speak on the current work being conducted by NASA to explore the moon. Brian Day will also talk about the current moon mission, LADEE and other future missions. Join us as he shares amazing images and the discoveries as NASA explores the moon!, Wednesday, March 12, 7:00pm, STB-108
- Dr. Jim Bell, presentation: Postcards from Mars, 7pm STB108, February 27th. (photos)
- Thirty Meter Telescope Hearing article in Tribune Herald, 17 January 2014
- Find us at campus center this Friday, 12-1pm at the Physics and Astronomy Table!
- December 9th, Alumni Alexandre Bouquin, PhD Student will give a talk on Galaxy Evolution at 12-pm in the STB-210 conference room. (flyer and pictures from talk)
- December 6th, STB-108, 7pm, Free public Talk by Professor John dePillis, "Mathematical Conversation Starters". (Flyer). Enjoy his presentation in this recorded video: (Video Link) (Fun pictures from the talk)
- December 5th, STB-225, 1-2pm, "An Illustrated Approach to Special Relativity and Its Paradoxes." A talk by Prof. John de Pillis, Department of Mathematics University of California, Riverside. (Flyer)
- November 7th, 2013, STB-108, Professor Richard Griffiths will speak on the Hubble Space Telescope. (Flyer)
- Astro 110 sunspot observations on Halloween day! (Link to website)
- October 8th, 2013, STB-108, Professor Jean-René Roy will present on Discovering galaxies. (Flyer)
- Students in Astronomy 180 visit the Imiloa Planatarium 16 September 2013
Student Projects Page
- New student meeting in STB-225 & starting the semester off right with a mixer for the Physics and Astronomy students, 22 August 2013 (Pictures). Big thanks to the Astronomy club for bringing out the telescope!
- Nathan Secrest, Ph.D. candidate and UH Hilo alumni presentation on "Supermassive Black Holes in Bulgeless and Dwarf Galaxies", to be held, August 14, 9am, STB-210 (Flyer)
- Akamai talks at UCB 100, 9-12 on August 6, 2013 (Photos from event)
Photographs of other events and activities by the UH Hilo Physics and astronomy can be department can be found at (Pluto.uhh.hawaii.edu)