Special Events & Programs Page
Check this site for future and past events and programs held at the UH Hilo Physics and Astronomy department.
Looking for images from
the UH Hilo Department of
Physics and Astronomy
activities past and present?
- July 15, 6:30m at UH Hilo UCB 127 (the Fishbowl), "The Universe in Absorption" a talk by our own Kathy Cooksey.
- Speaker Steve Howell, Exoplanets and Kepler Mission Update, July 7th, at 7pm in the UH Hilo Science and Technology Building room 108.
- Hawaii Business article, UH Hilo: Hawaii's Under-The-Radar Hotbed of Innovative Research article
- Student employee of the year award to Kristen Laguana, May 2015 <UH Hilo news link>
- Francis Davis award for excellence in undergraduate teaching, May 2015 <UHH Link> <UH system link>
- Koichi and Taniyo Taniguchi award for excellence and innovation award to John Coney and Kaleo Hui, May 14, 2015
- UH Hilo ALEX (Applied Learning Experiences at UH Hilo) article, "Assisting Your Way to Success", Written By Daisy Willis
- UH Hilo to host talk, “The History of Snow and Ice on the Summits of Hawai`i” by Dr. Norbert Schorghofer on November 20, 2014, 7-8pm at the UH Hilo Sciences and Technology Building, room 108. (pictures) (video) (UHH Campus TV)
- Dr. Kenji Yoshikawa's talk, "Tropical Mountain Permafrost", October 24th at UH Hilo Science & Technology Bld. (pictures) (video)
- Dr. Kathy Cooksey will give a free public talk on "Is Science a Meritocracy?: Issues of Diversity & Equity", October 23, 2014 7pm in STB-108. (pictures) (video)
- UH Hilo physics professor collaborates with student on article published in Nature, July 7, 2014
- Ben Browning presents his poster at Boston's AAS meeting 2014. "Identifying a Damped Lyman Alpha Source in the Spectrum of Quassar SDSS 1233544.18+150118.3
- Dr. Michael West, Nantucket, a small island located 30 miles off the coast of Cape Cod, has a rich history and a strong connection to astronomy. Money, May 12, STB-118, 7pm.
- Dr. Warren Skidmore presentation on the science driving the building of a giant telescope, April 25th, 7pm STB-108. (click here for the pictures) and (click here for the video)
- NASA Lunar Scientist, Brian Day, will speak on the current work being conducted by NASA to explore the moon. Brian Day will also talk about the current moon mission, LADEE and other future missions. Join us as he shares amazing images and the discoveries as NASA explores the moon!, Wednesday, March 12, 7:00pm, STB-108
- Dr. Jim Bell, presentation: Postcards from Mars, 7pm STB108, February 27th. (photos)
- Thirty Meter Telescope Hearing article in Tribune Herald, 17 January 2014
- Find us at campus center this Friday, 12-1pm at the Physics and Astronomy Table!
- December 9th, Alumni Alexandre Bouquin, PhD Student will give a talk on Galaxy Evolution at 12-pm in the STB-210 conference room. (flyer and pictures from talk)
- December 6th, STB-108, 7pm, Free public Talk by Professor John dePillis, "Mathematical Conversation Starters". (Flyer). Enjoy his presentation in this recorded video: (Video Link) (Fun pictures from the talk)
- December 5th, STB-225, 1-2pm, "An Illustrated Approach to Special Relativity and Its Paradoxes." A talk by Prof. John de Pillis, Department of Mathematics University of California, Riverside. (Flyer)
- November 7th, 2013, STB-108, Professor Richard Griffiths will speak on the Hubble Space Telescope. (Flyer)
- Astro 110 sunspot observations on Halloween day! (Link to website)
- October 8th, 2013, STB-108, Professor Jean-René Roy will present on Discovering galaxies. (Flyer)
- Students in Astronomy 180 visit the Imiloa Planatarium 16 September 2013
Student Projects Page
- New student meeting in STB-225 & starting the semester off right with a mixer for the Physics and Astronomy students, 22 August 2013 (Pictures). Big thanks to the Astronomy club for bringing out the telescope!
- Nathan Secrest, Ph.D. candidate and UH Hilo alumni presentation on "Supermassive Black Holes in Bulgeless and Dwarf Galaxies", to be held, August 14, 9am, STB-210 (Flyer)
- Akamai talks at UCB 100, 9-12 on August 6, 2013 (Photos from event)
Photographs of other events and activities by the UH Hilo Physics and astronomy can be department can be found at (Pluto.uhh.hawaii.edu)